An accomplished and internationally recognized piper who is dedicated to Scottish music.
Chris is a native of Hong Kong. He holds a piping degree with honours from the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland. Chris has valuable knowledge for performing and teaching through his studies and experience, and he is passionate about contributing to the growth of piping culture in Hong Kong as well as in other regions of Asia.
In 2019, Chris has been appointed as an assessor of all levels for Piping and Drumming Qualifications Board (PDQB) and Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) piping examinations. As the final product of his honours year academic research, he developed a pedagogical approach through some in-depth discussions with Bruce Gandy, Jimmy McIntosh, Allan MacDonald and Dr. J. David Hester, for an alternative way of learning Pibroch/Piobaireachd (the earliest form of highland bagpipe music). Previously, Chris has taught private and group classes as well as workshops in both Hong Kong and Glasgow. He has also taught the Hong Kong Sea School pipe band, Strathallan school in Scotland (work placement), and has led several pipe bands from Hong Kong to competitions in Asia.
During his time in Scotland, he had also been working part-time at a renowned reedmaker “MG Reeds” under Rory Grossart at McCallum Bagpipes factory, where he has further developed his know-how of instrument maintenance and setup.
Chris performs on the great highland bagpipe and bellow-blown borderpipes. Musical influences include some of his teachers Bruce Gandy, Jimmy McIntosh, Finlay MacDonald, Allan MacDonald and Breton pipers. Chris’s repertoire includes highland pipe music from different periods and styles, as well as music from Cape Breton, Ireland and Brittany. His approach to the wide variety of repertoire as well as his own compositions demonstrate the intimate musical potential of the bagpipe.
- BBC Scotland Pipeline Featured Artist - June 2019
- Lorient Interceltic Festival Piobaireachd Contest 2018, Runner-up
- Founding member of the International Piping Quartet -Brawbeag: Quimper Quartet Champion 2018; Performing at Piping Live! 2018
- Performing at the Piobaireachd Society Conference 2018
- Bagad Championships with Cap Caval – Four-time Champions (Brest and Lorient in 2018, 2019)
- 78th Highlanders (Halifax Citadel) Pipe Band winning the North American Championships in 2014
- Launching the Bagpipe Resource website in Chinese in 2012
- Piping and Drumming Qualifications Board Piping Tutor Certificate – 2011
- Scholarships – Studying at the Halifax Citadel School of Piping 2008 to 2010